Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Makeup Storage and Organization Part 1

Hi everyone!

A while back I posted a little "spring cleaning" post of me reorganizing my makeup collection - well today I am going to show you some of what I did, and hopefully it'll help give you some ideas on how you can organize your collection if that's something you've been wanting to do.


First off here is just a little overview of my set up. My vanity was actually built custom for me by my boyfriend by re-purposing the headboard to my childhood bed, some plywood, and a crate (to make the shelf). I don't remember where we bought the mirror from.... but we painted both the vanity and mirror the same so they looked like a uniform set.

My chair was actually found on the side of the road... yeah we pick up furniture people throw out. It's an amazing way to get unique pieces... for well free. The frame was spray painted and the cushion re-upholstered.

 If you want a vanity, but don't want/can't spend a ton of money, but also don't want to build one, you can buy a boxed one. I have seen at Target and maybe Walmart some boxed vanities that you just put together yourself. To make it look less cheap when you're done, just give it a coat of paint for an instant makeover.

Then on the left I just have a craft storage cart from Michaels. I have seen similar things at several stores, but I bought mine at Michaels because I had a 40% coupon :)

One last thing before I get to the details of what's on the vanity.... I just have a clamp on desk light that I attached to my storage cart. It was like $10 from the "Back to College" stuff at Target. It's really good for makeup lighting because it's on a flexible arm, and you can twist it however you need... it just gets a bit hot... hence the fan. Well and the fan is because I live in one of the hottest places... boo.


Here's my little shelf. Nothing really too exciting here. Some hair styling products, my power nail file box, extra face cleaning wipes, and then just misc. crap lol.


Here's how I store my everyday face brushes. On the left you see I have them just in a cup... that's kinda dirty (gross I know... I should clean that). I got the cup I believe at Target a few years ago for a couple of bucks. Then as you can see on the right I have the cup in a canister....

I first got the canister because my beloved cat Misty decided one day it looked like a fun idea to steal my brushes out of the cup and chew on them. Yeah, not fun for me. A bonus besides keeping her out of my brushes is that they can't get dusty this way! Yay silver lining.

I keep the cup in the canister because the canister is so large around, they fall everywhere if I don't keep them in something smaller. So that explains my odd situation here. If you're having pet problems with brushes, maybe something to consider.


Similarly, to protect my brushes from my cat, I keep my eye brushes in a pencil box. I think I got this for $1 during "Back to School" supplies time at Target. This was cheaper than trying to find another canister and I use way more eye brushes on a regular basis, so I can just access them easier when they're laying down like this.


And that box just sits on top of my large/thick palettes. I'm not going to go into too much detail on those yet... think I'll save it for a collection style post.


This thingy is just an office file box from Target. I think it was around $8. You can probably find similar ones for cheaper if you hunt. I keep this on top of my vanity to store items I reach for the most. The back section has all of my more expensive palettes, the front left pocket has mascara, eye primer, concealers, and eye rollers, and the front right compartment has my face primer, foundation, powder, eyebrow kit, bronzer, a blush, a highlighter, and my daily brush cleaning spray.

So as you can see this thing holds quite a bit of makeup. For many people it could probably hold most or all of their makeup. Super cheap and slender organization. These dividers come in all colors and styles. You could even decorate it for a more customized look.


Lastly I just have a couple of more cups off to the side. These are small cups, like for kids/toddlers. I believe the Bambi cup on the right was from Target a few years ago and the one on the left from Dollar Tree. You can find cute cups for cheap in most stores. The cup on the right has all my pencil eye liners and the one on the left as my jumbo pencils and a couple of liquid/marker liners.

Just ignore the couple of elf products in front - just stuff I'm testing and haven't made my mind up completely about yet... so I don't know where they will permanently live.

So I hope this incredibly long storage/organization post maybe gives you some ideas on where to get started on organizing your own collection!

I will have a post on how I organized my storage cart (which was pictured here) in a separate post. If I did it here, it would just be tooooo long.

Hope everyone is having a beautiful day!!


**Note: This review is solely my own personal opinion. This item was purchased by me and I was in no way asked to write this review.
**All images are my own (c)bargainbeaute

No comments:

Post a Comment