Thursday, May 29, 2014

How I Clean My Brushes

Hi everyone!

Today I'm going to be doing a little "how to" post. Something that is always kind of a source of stress for me is deep cleaning my brushes. I have tried a variety of brush washing techniques throughout the years, and I can't say that I have loved many of them... I have even destroyed a few brushes as a result. Well... it was about time I give them a good cleaning, and I actually didn't ruin any brushes this time and everything turned out well!


So these are the brushes that I washed for this post... all of my most used face brushes. I spot clean the majority of my face brushes every time I use them... but sometimes (as you can see) they need a deeper clean. This helps prevent the spread of bacteria and all that nasty jazz.


First off... I made sure that I had a good stream of water coming out of my faucet... hard enough that it gets your brushes nice and wet, but not so hard that the water will splash everywhere. Then I am just started wetting the first brush.

SUPER IMPORTANT NOTE: Always hold the brush at a downward angle so water does not run into the ferrule (the piece of metal between the handle of the brush and the bristles). If water gets into this portion of the brush, the glue will likely come loose and the bristles will start falling out. That's noooooo good.


To clean my brushes, I ended up using a variety of products: elf's brush shampoo, baby shampoo, and eye makeup remover.

I started off only using the brush shampoo, but it didn't lather enough for my liking, so I tried the baby shampoo, which did lather, but wasn't breaking up all of the makeup as quickly as I wanted it to, so I tried the makeup remover.... which worked wonders, but made the brushes a little greasy... so I ended up using a combo of it and the shampoo.

Whoa... long explanation you probably didn't care about. So here is a simplified version of my steps:

1. Wet the brush
2. Poured a little makeup remover in the palm of my hand and swirled my brush in it. (Next time I will be buying a cheaper remover just for brush cleaning).
3. Continued swirling and rinsing the brush until all of the makeup was broken up and rinsed out of the bristles.
4. Then I added a little baby shampoo into my palm, swirled the brush in it, and then massaged the shampoo into the bristles. I did this because while the makeup remover did an utterly amazing job at breaking up the makeup, it left the brush a little oily.
5. I then rinsed the brush until all the later came out and the bristles rinsed clean.
6. I then washed the bristles a second time with the elf brush shampoo. This is a step you could skip if you wanted to... but I'm a little bit of a germ freak, and this shampoo is supposed to be antibacterial, so that's why I did it.


This is just a before and after of cleaning one of my brushes with the makeup remover The top just shows the tiny amount of makeup remover I used to clean the brush, and the bottom shows how much product came out of the bristles... ewwies...

When you dry your brushes, make sure you do not stand your brushes up in a cup, because again, water can drip down into the ferrule and ruin your brushes. I personally used the Sigma Dry 'N Shape (for the first time) to dry my brushes. I will be doing a review on that product next, so stay tuned for that if you are curious.


Do any of you have a good method for washing your brushes? Did this help at all? Let me know in the comments down below :)

Hope everyone is having a beautiful day!


**Note: This review is solely my own personal opinion. This item was purchased by me and I was in no way asked to write this review.
**All images are my own (c)bargainbeaute



No comments:

Post a Comment