Sunday, March 23, 2014

Review: BH Cosmetics - Eyes on the '60s Palette

Hello everyone!

As promised, here is the first of my in-depth reviews on the BH Cosmetics items that I featured in my last post. I thought I'd start with what is probably my favorite item of the lot; the Eyes on the '60s palette.


I think this palette is so adorable! The packaging honestly is what first drew me in. I just love the bubbles and how you can see some of the colors peeking through the clear ones.

I assumed there was plastic covering the holes to protect the shadow... 


However, as you can see, that is not exactly the case. There is a plastic covering over the shadows, I don't know if you can tell from this picture:


But it is attached to the side of the package and has to be folded back every time you use the palette.... and it doesn't like to stay folded over. I have found I have to completely tuck the plastic under the palette for it to be out of the way.

One thing that concerns me about doing that is this:


The edge where the plastic is attached to is perforated, which leads me to believe that one day after folding it backwards, it may rip off. Though my boyfriend did suggest if that happened to just take the plastic off and glue it to the top where the holes are... pretty good idea on his part... just wish the company would have thought of that.
Ok enough of my complaining about something I said was a favorite product of mine! Other than this somewhat agitating flaw in design, the rest of the packaging is quite good; made out of heavy cardboard and featuring a magnetic closure. The palette overall is also quite larger than I expected. Hopefully you can get somewhat of a size reference from the pic with my hand above.
Now on to the best part... the actual eyeshadow!

There are 30 different shades in both matte and shimmery finishes, ranging from pastels, to neutrals, to bright, bold pops of color; perfect for everyday to a girls night out. I have numbered them in this picture so you can match them up to the swatches below since none of the colors feature any names.
All finger swatches below were done without a primer and by swirling my finger in each color just once:



As you can see, all of the colors are quite pigmented. Some of the lighter matte shades are a little powdery, and while I haven't worn all the shades yet, I haven't encountered a problem in any of them.
The following swatches were all done by making one swipe from what I had on my finger onto my forearm with no primer:

First off, sorry about the funky colors of my arm in the various shots, my flash was acting a fool, I assure you the colors of the swatches are really true to color. Secondly, viewing the larger version of this image will definitely help you get a better view of the swatches.
Most of the colors transfer really beautifully! In real life, I always use an eyeshadow primer when doing my makeup, which makes them pop even more than they do here; I just wanted you to be able to see how pigmented they were on their own.
With a primer, all of the shades I have worn so far have last all day (14-18 hours), with barely any fading or creasing.
Pricing:
This palette regularly retails for $19.95 and I got it on sale for $8.95. As I mentioned previously, BH Cosmetics has sales ALL of the time, so I would never pay full price for something from them. 

For 30 shadows at $19.95, each shade only costs 67 cents and at $8.95, only 30 cents per shadow!

The bottom line:

I have to say that this palette has amazing quality, color variety, and pricing! If you are on a budget and want some amazing colors at an amazing price, this is definitely a palette to pick up.

**Note: This review is solely my own personal opinion. This item was purchased by me and I was in no way asked to write this review.

**All images are my own (c)barginbeaute






2 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. gluten free cosmetics

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. facials tampa

    ReplyDelete